Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Turnin' Tricks with Viet Hoa... Market

So, I might have over-indulged last night; shocker, I know.  Lucky for you, it provided me with a little inspiration to match my headache; when I have really tied one on the night before, I wake up wanting Asian.  It could be takeout from Wang's or pad thai from Pei Wei: whatever it is, I want it. And now.  


So when I'm not feeling like I've trekked to the centermost depths of hell, I really enjoy cooking Asian cuisine.  When I'm looking to roll sushi, make curry paste, or wok it out with some General Tso, I run over to my favorite little ghetto market: Viet Hoa.  This place is absurdly awesome.  Located on 40 N Cleveland Street in Midtown Memphis, Viet Hoa houses THE BEST selection in all things "rig-of-fire" specific.  Yes, you may get accosted by a pro-ho or a vagrant in the parking lot, but when you walk in, you realize it was totally worth it.

My first experience with Viet Hoa was in 2006.  My buds and I wanted to make fish tacos with the freshest talapia available.  A fellow kitchen slave told me about this place, and told me not to judge the book by its proverbial cover.  So I didn't.  Not even when I walked to the back where they had, like, 50 huge aquariums with live fish in them: no bullsugar.  I got to pick out my fish, and I'll be damned that the guy didn't pull out the long-handled net, scoop the fish out, dump him on a cutting board, turn the net handle-side-out, and bludgeon the damn fish right there.  Whammy: That. Is. Fresh.


It goes without saying that I have an affinity for the absurd, so they had me hooked then and there.  However, I knew it was lust when I schlepped down the aisles and saw everything from fresh bok choy, live eel, cow tongue, and Indian tandoori.  I was in heaven; this place is a foodie's dream.  Need an obscure, hard-to-find-item?  Head to Viet-Hoa.  They even carry hard to find Mexican ingredients.  Done and done.

I didn't even bother trying to interview anyone there: no one speaks English.  Be prepared to hunt down your items all by your lonesome.  Also, bring cash- they only take cards for purchases of $20 bucks or higher.




Don't act like you're not impressed
So go to Viet Hoa Market.  Do it soon, ya jerk.  Just don't be surprised when you walk out and Elmore the Transient is relieving himself on your tire.


-Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment