Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2011

Getting Comfy at Cozy Corner

There are about a gazillion bar-b-que joints in this beautiful, crime-riddled city of mine. Memphis is known for its bar-b-que, and even hosts a damn International Bar-B-Que contest in May. (Anyone who is shocked to discover that we have a history of being a top-rated playground for the obese, click here: http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/14/health-obesity-cities-forbeslife-cx_rr_1114obese.html and then go run a few miles, Porky).


Cozy, ain't it?
Of the all these bbq spots, nearly every single one claims to tout the best sauced dead-piggy in the 'hood.  Well, guess what? I don't like pork, so I don't give a flip. So quit asking about it, jerk.  Now what I DID find interesting is when someone mentioned a place called the Cozy Corner Restaurant and how rad the Cornish Hen was.  I was skeptical; um, first of all, I am a born and raised local and had never heard of this place.  Secondly, say what?!  During a drive by, the place looks like a dump- like, "line the toilet with tissue or hover when ya pee" type place.  So Cornish Hen?? Yea damn right.


Well, lemme learn ya something: when I am wrong (or caught being wrong, rather) I will admit it, should it not be of major consequence or recourse to me.  The Cornish Hen here, at only $11.75, was purty darn good.  I would like to preface here that I used to eat Cornish Hen annually for Christmas; I've made it several times and have ordered it often.  However, I've never had it bar-b-qued.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the meat was tender, and the sauce really complimented the full flavor of the dark meat.  Seriously, I'm a sauce brat, and this sauce has just the right amount of sweet as well as kick.  The white meat was tender, too.  (Note: this review rebuttals a review I read from a blog called "The Cynical Cook".  This dipwad doesn't know his a-hole from his elbow.  I think he or she is from MS. Well, that explains a ton). These jokers bar-b-que just about everything, and even sell wings singularly, so if you are super neurotic and want exactly 7 wings, you can get that there, you weirdo.  


The Cozy Corner is located on 745 N. Parkway (sketchy, I know) and is tucked away... like a "cozy corner"... get it? God, you're clever.  They are closed on Sundays and Mondays, but are open Tuesday through Saturday for lunch and dinner. The Cozy Corner has won umpteen million awards and have been featured in, like, 100 publications for being awesome.  You would think they would use some of that cash and notoriety for a damn maid or a hose-down (or even pressure wash), but maybe I'm being too persnickety.  And just like some of the other great spots in Mempho, lock your car doors and keep yo wits about ya, because this is a less-than-desirable place to be frolicking about at night on your lonesome.  With that being said, the fare at The Cozy Corner seems worth the bee-bop down gangster road, so sack up and check it out.


-Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment